ORCID is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic professional for the position of Events and Outreach Specialist. If you like the flexibility of a remote organization and the public-service orientation of a non-profit, join us on our mission to connect research and researchers!
Who We Are
ORCID is a mission-driven, member-supported, community-governed non-profit organization. Our vision is a world where all who participate in research, scholarship, and innovation are uniquely identified and connected to their contributions across disciplines, borders, and time. Every one of ORCID’s employees is committed to that vision as well.
We believe in and operate by our three main values [read our Dignity at Work statement]. ORCID strives to be:
- Inclusive: We make decisions collaboratively, involving our staff, Board, those who support our mission, and the researchers and community that are the purpose of our work. We take a global view.
- Trusted: Privacy and researcher control underscores everything we do.
- Open: Our work is open, transparent, and non-proprietary.
To Apply: Please submit your application through this portal, including a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us the name of your favorite plant and why. ORCID encourages applicants who meet some, but not all of the requirements and qualifications, to apply.
ORCID is seeking an Events and Outreach Specialist to help ORCID consortia and members get the most out of their memberships. You will own the functional areas of in-person and virtual event implementation, as well as outreach via monthly member newsletter. If you like to foster teamwork and genuine collaboration, are self-motivated, organized, dedicated, and enjoy the mission-driven environment of a fast-paced maturing non-profit organization, this could be the job for you.
The position reports to the Director of Communications and will be part of the Communications team. The successful candidate will have experience with or willingness to develop in-depth knowledge of PID systems or open research infrastructure, and the ability to distill complex knowledge into simplified, accessible content to help our members get the most out of ORCID via virtual or in-person events, and newsletter engagement.
- Implement exceptionally engaging events: Following ORCID’s event strategy, you will plan, promote, and operate in-person, virtual, and collaborative third-party events. This includes setting up and promoting events; conducting platform training for presenters and participants; moderating webinars and other virtual sessions; and ensuring they are organized, professional and polished. You may also provide technical support to presenters and attendees as needed.
- Provide post-event support: You will provide support for post-event logistics by ensuring webinar files and associated materials are up-to-date and available to participants. You may also conduct evaluation surveys and maintain accurate event and attendee data in Salesforce to enable enhanced reporting and downstream opportunities.
- Keeping our event strategy impactful: With the Director of Communications, you will keep ORCID’s event strategy up to date, bringing your knowledge of event industry trends and best practices to incorporate into future planning.
- Provide quality presentation tools and processes: Assess operational outreach processes by evaluating current practices and implementing new strategies. Identify opportunities for new ORCID presentation templates and assets for webinars. Maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs) for ORCID webinars.
- Produce monthly member newsletter: Our Event and Outreach Specialist will manage the production cycle of our monthly newsletter to help our members get the most from ORCID. Working with various stakeholders, you will plan, organize, and write content.
- Optimize and improve monthly member newsletter: Continually optimize the newsletter from top to bottom, from subject lines to footers and everything in between, to deliver consistent excellence and increase engagement. Monitor the performance of the newsletter and implement changes to improve key performance indicators.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 5-6+ years of work experience in event coordination or management
- Experience with, and comfortable learning new technology such as video content hosting and streaming platforms
- Excellent communication, presentation, and collaboration skills
- Highly organized with the ability to meet multiple concurrent deadlines in a complex global environment
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple demands and shifting priorities
- Fluency in English required. Additional languages a plus.
- Ability to travel based upon business needs (post-COVID - less than 10%)
- Knowledge of or willingness and ability to learn Salesforce and Campaign Monitor and newsletter metrics, including open and click through rates, unsubscribes
- Experience or interest in working and engaging in global, multicultural, and virtual team environments
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, English, communications or related field preferred
- Technical knowledge, of various online video platforms, not limited to but including Vimeo, YouTube, and GoToWebinar, with the ability to comfortably navigate and troubleshoot
As a global, 100% remote organization, ORCID is able to find the best and brightest minds in the industry. Our team includes individuals with broad and diverse backgrounds who are globally distributed. We are fluent in many languages, and we all have an innate tech savviness which helps guide our product development, support, and customer experience.
We recently formed a committee of dedicated team members who meet regularly to ensure our global diversity, equity, and inclusion needs are being met, addressed, and amplified. As a fully remote organization, we also have an active committee dedicated to making our individual remote experiences as positive and productive as possible.
Although we are geographically diverse, we are a small, cohesive community of thinkers and doers committed to excellence and to each other.
A family-friendly, flexible working environment, including:
- Flexible work hours and the ability to work fully from home (when not travelling)
- A committed and awesome team serving a community-driven organization
- Competitive compensation & benefits, plus an ORCID-wide closure (day off) the first Friday of each month
- A continuous learning environment with opportunities for training & professional development
- Tools to support our virtual office environment, including a budget to choose your preferred laptop and a remote working stipend.